Thursday, May 5, 2005


PT Test Coming Up!!

We have a military physical training test coming up the 21st of May, so I'm trying to increase my workouts. Tonite I went to Offutt and had a rather bad workout. But, even though it didn't go like I wanted, I can tell that my abs are a lot stronger than they have been in years, from all my situps and bicycle kicks I've been doing lately. I know this because I'm able to keep my pace up and my breathing fairly regular as I run even though I'm tired. I ran the entire 4 miles and did both sets of pushups/situps/bicycle kicks, but I was only able to ride the stationary bike for about 10 minutes because I had a severe cramp setting in on my right calf muscle.

I had my weight down to 180, but I'm up about 187 now, after about a month solid of eating fast food at least once a day haha. Hopefully I can get that down to 180 again by the 20th, because, lemme tell you, you can run a LOT faster and feel less winded dropping even 5 lbs off. My biggest concern right now is my pushups though. I have trouble even hitting 50 right now, a far cry from my goal of 85 for this PT test or 100 by August. I think this is mostly because of my job, because after lugging around about 200 windshields during the day, your muscles are pretty tired by the end of the day, and even in the morning many times you will still feel the effects of a particularily strenuous day.

I still have to work my way up though, because if you stop doing pushups for even a month or so (as I did), you seem to lose any progress you had made. I was doing about 70 pretty easily before I got sick in February, now I have a short time to try and do better than that. I'm not TOO worried about it. When you take the actual test, your first 30 or so pushups are all adrenaline anyway, from the excitement, then after that you settle in, try to remember to breathe, and crank them out, 10 at a time.

The situps, well, as long as someone decent is holding my feet I'm okay, I should get 90 without too much effort, but I'm going to gun for 100. The run is always my thing, and I haven't ever been beaten in military competition, but the last couple of years have been really hard to stay ahead of the younger guys getting in. I'm guessing it won't be as hard this time, I've been running quite a bit since the New Year, where as in years past I would do it on sheer will power and determination more so than training beforehand.

I've also been eating better. No fast food leading up to this PT test. Hell, hopefully none after the test either, but I have to be a realist. Oh, speaking of food, I have something to say about the salads that seem to be all the rage these days, from Wendy's to McDonalds to the ritzier places like Panera bread. Who in the hell eats raisins, dates, oranges, cranberries, or any variety of freaking NUTS on their salad???? That is just weird as hell, if you eat something like that you should immediately be committed for your odd behavior. What's next, whipped cream with cherry sauce topping for steak?? YUCK!!

Whoever is coming up with these weird combinations is just loony. I have to think that the only reason people are eating this rubbish is to they can act all worldly and 'food fashionable' while they are thinking to themselves "What the fuck am I doing this tastes like shit!!" Salad is lettuce, tomatos, carrots, cucumbers, croutons, bacon bits, and salad dressing. Feel free to add some pasta salad as a side, and cottage cheese too. Hell, even toss a pickle in there. But dammit, leave the fruit for the cereal!!!


Current Lyrical Ramblings

When I came to visit you
That's when I knew, that I could never have you
I knew that before you did, still I'm the one who's stupid
And there's this burning, like there's always been,
And I've never been so alone, and I've never been so alive

-Motorcycle Drive By, Third Eye Blind

4 comments:

erynthenerd said...

ha. I love fruit in my salads. it gives it a lot of different texture and flavor. I put weird things in my salads and usually end up wondering why I never thought to do it before.

Mink said...

Actually, nuts are a healthier alternative to croutons, silly. Spinach salad with hazelnuts and a raspberry vinegarette dressing is excellent.

fraNkenoodles said...

GROSS!!! WHO ARE YOU? AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY FIANCE???

Mink said...

Now I will have to drag you out and make you eat some.