Sunday, September 10, 2006


My Camera Is Annoying Me!!!

I have a wonderful camera for taking digital photos, the Olympus C-770 Ultra Zoom digital camera that belly purchased for me to take photos while I'm over here in Iraq. I have taken thousands of photos here and other than the slow rate of photo capture upon hitting the shutter button (you can't take actions shots worth a crap) there isn't much to complain about.

Well, I have a 256 card so I wanted to purchase a larger card to make a movie with, and they had a returned 1G card at the PX in Biap, so I bought it. Upon installing it, I found it will give me more than an hour of high quality 4 megapixel movie images. But then I find out that if I tried making a movie longer than a minute or so, I get a PICTURE ERROR message and it won't play either on the camera or on the computer.

I figured I would read the booklet and find out what is causing this, well, the instruction manual is a joke. It's 45 pages of typical crap made for a kindergärtners, with a bunch of illustrations that are marked out, but an appallingly pathetic problem solution section.

So, I decided to look online. I discovered in short order on a photo forum that I'm not the only one with this problem. I also found out that Olympus has a standard reply for questions about the problem, as follows:

We have confirmed the phenomenon you pointed out.
The 1 GB xD picture card is basically compatible with C-770 UltraZoom.

We have the following information that we confirmed.

* Only when recording the MPEG4 movies with sound, the phenomenon is generated.
This phenomenon does not happen besides recording MPEG4 movies with sound.

* This phenomenon is generated when you use type M 1GB xD-picture card.

Please use 1GB xD-picture card with C-770 UltraZoom excluding above conditions.

We appreciate if you could contact Olympus Europa GmbH for the further
information regarding this case.


Okay, does anyone else find this to be a little short on information, such as, why is this happening? Are you doing anything to repair it? Will a software upgrade fix it? BAH!!

This is frustrating, guess I'll just have to spend a bunch of time trying to fix this while out on the road because I really wanted to make movies of my time over here, to show everyone what it was like over here when I get back, and then long term, for grandkids someday, and beyond.

If anyone can find other information about this, or a solution by a more detailed reading of the webpage I provided, let me know. I am really short on time right now to spend hours and hours searching for a solution.


Current Lyrical Ramblings

We'll live happily ever trapped if you just save my life
Run and tell all the angels that everything is alright. . .
Fly along with me, I can't quite make it alone
Try and make this life my own

Learn To Fly - Foo Fighters

No comments: