Thursday, August 31, 2006


Another Episode of "Why Baseball Sucks"

I have such a hard time finding any real interest of value when it comes to Major League Baseball. Oh sure, I shouldn't complain too much, my Oakland A's are currently sitting on like a 9 game lead in the American League West, their largest lead since 1992, and may end up with a double digit lead by weeks end.

But in the meantime, on the other side of the American League, you have the cheating stinky Yankees making yet another run at the post season, and the Red Sox once again (save for one season of course) faltering and falling apart when crunch time hits.

An extremely frustrating aspect about the coverage of MLB by the sports media, is that the fucking Yankees and Red Sox take up probably 75% of the overall coverage and talk on local and nationwide sports shows, and it's just ridiculous. This past 3 game set where the A's swept the Red Sox is a perfect example of the stupidity of the media when it comes to the Yankees and Red Sox.

The A's are baseball's hottest team right now, with the best record in August and the best record since the break. They are 8-2 in their last 10 games and are once again making their usual yearly second half of the season push for the playoffs. Yet their wasn't even a mention in the game summary about this, or even that the A's swept the Red Sox. No, it was about how the Red Sox were 2-7 in their latest road trip and how far they have fallen off the pace from the Yankees.

Now, just to understand, I am not a Red Sox hater, I am a Yankee hater thru and thru. When the Red Sox took 4 straight from the Yankees after spotting a 3 game lead to them (which, in my opinion is far more humiliating than just a 4 game sweep), I was cheering them on. But by proximity to the Yankees, and by being arch rivals, I'm beginning to really dislike the Red Sox too.

I find myself hoping and praying year after year that the Yankees somehow do not make the playoffs, with their grotesque payroll, cheating style of 'go steal every good player we can from every other team' aquisitions, and MORONIC fans. Yet year after year the bastards get into the playoffs anyway. I am probably not the only person who would say that they would rather see the Yankees NOT make the playoffs than have the team they follow even get into the playoffs. That's how much I dislike them. They represent all that is wrong with sports.

It's likely that it will be the Yankees, Detroit Tigers, and A's winning their divisions in the American League, with the Minnesota Twins taking the wild card. I can't imagine anything that will keep the Yankees out, so again stuck watching them cheat their way into the playoffs, but of course I will laugh once again as the overpaid pile of shit franchise gets beat because they are a collection of misfit superstars, and NOT a 'team' that can actually play good enough ball to win it all.

Current Lyrical Ramblings

A manic stunning scene
I'm taking notes
Your taking me away
Into your false reality

Leech - Eve 6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Mets!