Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Hook Em Hosers

I hate the Texas Longhorns. If the University of Texas were suddenly sucked into a monster fissure that opened up in the ground in Austin, I would shed not one tear, not one! Their fans are without a doubt the worst in all of college sports (I would say all of sports, but sorry Yankee fans, you are the most pathetic and worst, by a slight margin).

Why am I bringing this up? Well, I watched one of their players rounding the bases during the College World Series here in Omaha, doing that STUPID hook em sign, and a lot of bad memories came up. Certainly had Nebraska done what they should have done years ago, yes, in football, this wouldn't even come up, well, it might, doesn't change the fact that Texas fans blow goats, but at least had my beloved Huskers won some of the games they should have, the irritation wouldn't be so noticeable.

So is it the losses that make me feel this way? Not really, it's how their fans reacted, probably some of the sorriest winners I've ever seen in my life, yelling the most profane and insulting comments as they left Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, I shook my head in amazement, that a school like Texas, with all that tradition, could have such completely lame and pathetic fans. My best friends mother got jabbed in the eye by one of them doing their little sign. College campuses in Nebraska can't have alcohol, so you can't blame it on that, it's actual sober people being retarded.

As a lifelong Husker fan, I understand the idea of rabid loyalty to one's team, but we Nebraska fans, year after year considered the most knowledgeable in all of college football, have always treated opponents with the utmost of respect. Of course there are rare exceptions, but for the vast majority of the time, the experience for the visiting team, win or lose, is one that they never forget. The "Sea of Red" and the greeting for the opposing team as fans cheer them after the game as they walk under the stadium, and the atmosphere, are something many players of opposing teams have recalled years following playing there.

I guess we end up having the same expectations of visiting fans, to be respectful and cordial to others, but on two separate occasions I've had the displeasure of being present for games with Texas, and they were the exact opposite of polite. Like I said, open up a hole and suck that college down into the dark depths of hell!! Good riddance!!

Let's see, in other news, what's going on around here? Well, we've had a high of 92 degrees or above for 4 days now, and it's been rather sweltering. But I like the heat, so I've been out in it running and biking, and really pushing myself. Today I ran 6.5 miles in 96 degree heat. I lose anywhere from four to six pounds when I run that far in that kind of heat. Of course, the majority is water weight, but I still feel so much better when I'm working out. I'm sitting at just above 180 these days, and it's a healthy feeling compared to 210.

I guess when I'm scooting down the trail around the lake at a high rate of speed, be it running or biking, I keep in mind what it's going to be like over in Iraq, where the highs can be in the teens... PLUS 100 that is. I push myself here to move my threshold further, to increase my stamina, and lower the energy I use while resting in that blazing heat over there. I don't believe I'll be able to sit in the 115 degree heat and not sweat, but I want to be sure that I feel, well, relatively comfortable. I did at the National Training Center at Ft. Irwin, south of Death Valley in California, so I don't think I have too much to worry about.

Me with an 80 pound ruck, along with another 60 lbs of gear or so, yah, going to have no problem heh heh heh.

Current Lyrical Ramblings

Lights go out and I can’t be saved
Tides that I tried to swim against
Have bought me down upon my knees
Oh I beg, I beg and plead... Singing

Clocks - Coldplay

No comments: