Wednesday, January 29, 2003



The 3500 Pound Jigsaw Puzzle

A lot of people really enjoy working on jigsaw puzzles, sitting at the table and moving the little tiny cardboard pieces around and making the border and then working thru the middle and finally it's done and 'wow' and then they get to put it back into the box, probably to never be done again.

Then you have Legos, where people usually start out by building the item you see on the front of the box, then inevitably pieces get lost, so people just start building whatever they can with what is left over, sort of a children's Frankensteinian fantasy. Construx and Erector sets are the same way. Interestingly enough, men seem to have more of a fascination with these sorts of toys when they are little than women do.

I guess that is why later on, men enjoy working on cars so much. A car is a gigantic jigsaw puzzle. You take a ton of pieces apart, there is something wrong, you have to find out what it is, oh god, can you do it? You hope so!!! Then when you have found the problem, you fix it, or so you hope, perhaps the problem is not fixed, then the puzzle is harder, you have to replace something else, oh the frustration!!! Oh the joy when you find the actual broken part and repair it. Oh my can you remember how to put your puzzle back together again???

I have a minivan sitting in our shed right now and I'm done with it, for the most part. When we bought it a week before last Saturday, the head was removed from the engine and the block was destroyed by a disintegrated piston. So I removed the block also and dropped another engine in. Now I have it running, and the heater doesn't work!!! OH GOODNESS!!! More puzzle for me!!! (interestingly enough, my reaction to things such as this usually involve a lot more swearing and loud yelling).

So tomorrow, I continue working on my puzzle. People can have thier legos, thier jigsaw puzzles, and what not, I have something much better, when I get done I don't just put it all back in a box, I drive it around and run over elderly women with it!!! (okay, perhaps not, well, maybe the occasional squirrel.)

No comments: