Thursday, May 19, 2011

DITCH THE FREAKING BERET ALREADY!!!

So, last year, June 2010, the Army Times ran an article about the beret, and how then Army Chief of Staff General George Casey stated “I can count on one hand the number of guys and gals that have stood up and said, ‘I hate this thing.’” I remember thinking to myself "Well Sir, with all due respect, you need to get your ass out of the Pentagon and actually TALK to some soldiers who actually do shit in the field if you honestly believe that idiotic assessment of that piece of crap headgear!!!". On cold days, when doing my job, it wasn't unusual that I had to have 4 total pieces of headgear to meet all the expectations of different places I might be. The kevlar helmet for training in tactical vehicles, the fleece cap for cold weather outdoor training, the patrol cap for in garrison training, and that stupid beret for formations and formal events.

Apparently, as General Casey has now retired, it has taken the new leadership a lot less time to begin some actual intelligent thought about the problems with the current uniform and how to make REAL soldiers happier with what they are wearing day to day. Hell 90% of soldiers can't even wear that stupid beret correctly.

Controversial Beret Could Be On The Way Out

New Sergeant Major of the Army Raymond Chandler is making one of his first actions an overall assessment of the uniform, including removing velcro, which was another completely IDIOTIC idea to begin with. "Ahoy mate, see me sneaking up on this enemy soldier, wait a moment, as I reach into my pocket and RIPPPPPPPPPP the velcro open... CRIKEY, he's spotted me!!!". The velcro doesn't hold up for shit, and the name tape and branch of service tapes end up grabbing at the shoulder velcro in an irritating repetitive action whenever you are doing work that causes your arms to cross your body, or basically just about any type of work you might do.

As far as the ACU pattern, which has never worked (unless you were perhaps trying to hide in a field of white rock), the Army is looking to field 3 variants of camouflage: woodland, desert, and a transitional pattern for everything in between (whatever the hell that means?). I don't get why they don't admit "Okay, we f'ed up, hey Marines, can we just use your uniforms, minus the eagle, globe, and anchor???".

But, one thing at a time, and right now there are very few things as annoying as the beret. I don't mind it for the class A uniform (the new dress blues are hideous though, I must say) but for day to day use with your combat uniform, the beret is freaking useless, an irritating two handed device designed to impress only the most idiotic of officers.

No comments: