Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Age VS Maximum Score

I guess it is only natural that I follow up my last post about PT with a related piece. In this particular occasion, I am talking about "maxing" the PT test, something I have done every year for a long time, and twice a year since I have been active duty. As I have gotten older, however, I am now finding myself questioning my current fitness regimen, because as we grow older, the chance of injury becomes significantly higher, and I sometimes wonder if the heightened possibility of getting hurt, or developing a chronic injury, is worth the risk, considering that scoring a 250 with a lot less work would be acceptable and keep me just as gainfully employed.

My main chance for injury is of course running, I push myself hard to maintain my abilities, and the other consideration is that, if I were to quit running as much as I do, I would have to alter my diet in order to avoid gaining weight. I already eat quite a bit less than I did when I was younger, but that is strictly to maintain my current weight. I find that losing weight is a hell of a lot harder than it ever used to be, and without running the weight off, I fear I'd gain a chunk of fat. I just love food too much. Of course, proper stretching goes a long way, as does a proper diet. I suppose the 250 score would be a piece of cake, but dammit I want to continue aiming for that 300.

No comments: