Thursday, April 27, 2006


Book Review: Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz

Published: 2004 Finished Reading: 30Jan2006

I purchased this book back in October of 2005 while visiting belly at Cherry Point. I read it in January and am now getting to doing a review of the book. This was really a delightful tale. I have always enjoyed Koontz’s books, and this was no exception. I can remember the first book of his that I read nearly 15 years ago, and how incredibly frightening that one was, to the point that I was reading it at night alone in my house while at college one summer and I had to stop reading it because it was freaking me out.

Koontz’s books aren’t always frightening, yet even in the tales where the outcome is determined by scientific, human means, he still seems to weave the supernatural into the threads of the story. “Life Expectancy” focuses on the birth and life of one Jimmy Tock, who’s grandfather by some unfortunate circumstances dies on the very night that Jimmy is born. As his grandfather lays dying, he predicts five terrible dates in Jimmy’s life.

The challenges that Jimmy faces turn to rewards, in the most twisted sense imaginable, and in the usual Koontz way, the surprise twists are fairly chilling, although in this book they are for the most part more delightful and humorous than in many of his other tales. Of all the books I have read thus far, I would say that belly would probably like this one the best. There are still some elements that are rather unimaginable in the sense of how warped they really are. “Prepare to be Enchanted”

Rating: ****

No comments: