Saturday, November 29, 2003



Rather Annoyed Tonite

I love Nebraska football, I always have. Guess that stems from Nebraska being number one in the country the day I was born, and that Nebraska has won 5 national titles since 1971 and more in the last 10 years than any other school (3).

But tonite I'm really irritated with Nebraska football, our athletic director, the boosters, and a lot of our fans. Nebraska Coach Frank Solich was fired tonite, on the verge of a possible 10 win season (with a win in an upcoming bowl game). I can't believe the insanity of all this. All I can hope is that there is something I don't know that is going on. He's the sixth winningest active coach in the NCAA right now, and his record is basically identical to what Tom Osbornes was at the same point in both of their careers.

I have this impending sense of dread and doom about all of this, about several seasons of chaos and mediocrity, and the true end to any chance for Nebraska to ever return to dominance, something they did for more than 30 years until last year's 7-7 season. Going 9-3 thus far, and a chance at 10-3 in the bowl game this year, should have been enough to save this man's job. But the unreal expectations of a few outweighed the opinions of the many in this case. I am afraid of what is going to happen during the next few seasons for my beloved Nebraska Cornhuskers.

No comments: