Wednesday, November 19, 2003



Legalized Robbery

Credit card companies certainly do make a hefty living ripping off the general public. Why is it that you can put money into a bank account and not get more than 3 percent interest on it right now, yet the interest on the credit card is 19%??? Wow, that really makes a lot of sense? Whatever. And God help you if you go over your limit. They nail you with an 'over your limit' fee each month that is more than your minimum payment. If by some chance, you are lucky enough to get back below your limit, if you pay the minimum payment each month, it will take you approximately 415 years to pay the card off, good luck. Even better, send in your monthly payment with under 15 days left till the cut off date, and they won't get it credited to your account on time, WOW, another fee!!! THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

Call them to complain about it, and you get to talk to a trained baboon who's only excuse is "well, you know, the post office takes up to 15 days to get your payment to us." Yes, I suppose that is why every letter you ever send someone never takes more than 3 days, and in most cases is there the next day. I guess that's just a conspiracy by the United States Post Office to screw over the poor helpless credit card companies and we should feel sorry for them and agree to paying stupid fees that accrue, yeah that's the ticket. I don't know what sort of sense credit card companies make. They basically wait for a person to fall down, then they run up and kick you in the head as hard as they can.

Even more fun: I get a letter from my card company that says "Your credit rating has changed, we now consider you a risk, we are raising your interest rate from 19% to 29%." Of course, I called to ask them why it had changed, and the baboon that answered the phone just grunted in my ear, had no answers, and ate a banana.

Just for fun, let's apply credit card mentality to a life situation:

For the following scenario:

your credit card = boat
dollars = people
credit card company = coast guard
drop in credit rating = crack in boat

Problem:

A boat is out in the ocean, there are too many people on the boat, and the boat is starting to sink, they need some help bad!!!

Coast Guard:

Tell them the only way to save themselves is to get people off the boat, all the while putting more people into the boat. Oh, you waited too long to get people off the boat, you get more people added into the boat. What? The boat can only hold 1000 people and you have 1020 people on the boat?? PUT 50 MORE PEOPLE ON THE BOAT!!! What? The boat develops a slight crack in it? ADD IN 10 MORE PEOPLE PER MINUTE!!

I think we can all see what happens here, the boat sinks. Oh, one more:

boat sinks = bankruptcy

It's really confusing actually. And you call and try to work with them and all they really want to do, to let you get people off your boat, is add a few more in. Talk about frustrating. And sure, you can say "you are the one that ran the limit up on your card." I suppose that is a fair statement, but that doesn't give these companies the right to bend a guy over the coach with sandpaper, now does it?

I guess a quick and easy way to pay off credit cards would be a new law. Every time a credit card company sends me a credit card application in the mail, they have to include a dollar bill with the application. It's really weird, I have such a bad rating, but they continue to send me application after application. "Sorry folks, I can only pilot one boat at a time, and this one is sinking fast okay?" If I get a dollar for every application they send in the mail, I should get my card paid off after I get about 1100 applications. That should take, oh, about 2 months. I wonder if I have the power to get that law passed? Yeah, good luck on that one.

No comments: