Monday, July 7, 2003



Racing Lawnmowers

I drive a 1991 Dodge Daytona Shelby IROC, it has around 190 horsepower, a 4 cylinder turbo. This car is a sports car, it has a reasonable amount of power, and good torque provided by the turbocharger. What totally blows my mind, is how the movie "Fast And The Furious" has spawned thousands of idiots driving around in economy cars thinking they can race everyone.

A Honda is NOT a race car. There is only one Honda that can lay claim to being a race car and it's the S2000 roadster, and for $35,000 I think I would buy something with a lot more power and speed, like a Ford Mustang Cobra or Chevy Camaro SS. But don't tell these dorks driving Hondas around that they are not sports cars, oh god no. I don't understand it really. Most of the Hondas I see have a 1200 dollar set of rims on them, and DRUM BRAKES IN BACK... DRUM BRAKES!! I say it twice to reiterate how stupid it is. If you are going to spend a ton of money on rims, spend some time and put disc brakes on your rear wheels, I did, with two different cars. Also, the run of the mill honda has about 130 horsepower. Adding a 6 inch muffler and a cold air intake will give you, at most, an 25 horsepower. Do you really think that means you are going to go race me, or worse yet, a V-8 car? Whatever.

It gets worse. 4 door Camrys and Altimas with huge mufflers and racing rims, stickers, stripes, neon lights, all wanting to race all the damn time. Usually I just let them go, but every so often I get annoyed and blow them away. It's funny too, I've hit two deer with my car so my car looks like crap now, perhaps as they watch my tail lights disappear, they will realize that it's not looks at all, it's what you've got under the hood, that makes the car go. I think the funniest sight is when a 'ricer' (commonly used name for a pile of crap economy car with stickers and a big muffler) pulls up next to an american built SUV and gets blown away by soccer mom, who isn't even trying all that hard.

I think that anytime a new honda is sold, it should come with a lawnmower blade underneath it, because everytime I hear one of these dorks in their cars with the big muffles, it sounds like someone is mowing the lawn. This would give Honda drivers something constructive to do, obviously they can't race real cars, so they could have races to see who can mow a lawn the fastest, finally, something a Honda driver can win.

I think what says it all is this fact: no Honda car played any significant role whatsoever in the movie "The Fast And The Furious", even the S2000 wasn't really shown all that much, and you didn't see any stinking accord or prelude running around all bad ass against the real import tuner cars. Too bad ricers around here don't seem to realize that.

No comments: