Tuesday, March 4, 2003



Patriotism Noted And Appreciated

I consider it an honor to serve in the United States military. No one has a right to serve this country in our armed forces, this is reserved as a priviledge, it is with great pride that I wear the uniform of an army soldier. I started as an infantry soldier in the Nebraska Army National Guard more than 13 years ago, now I'm a semi truck driver.

Recently we went on a 5 day mission to drive trailers to Missouri. On the way down I saw a lot of waving and got a lot of thanks for what we do, which is nice. Ignorant people tend to see us in uniform and fail to make a distinction as to what our actual purpose is. What we do is a job that isn't always popular, but the job is put there by our government, not by us, so the job must be done. It seems like so often it's actors and musicians that tend to promote this ignorant stupidity, which is unfortunate. By their very position as role models it would be nice if they were to really research something before condemning, but I guess it's easier to open your big mouth and just start barking than it is to really be smart and look into something. "They say the empty can rattles the most..." as Metallica would say, and so often that phrase can be used to explain people.

But honestly for the most part, everyday people I meet don't hesitate to walk up and shake my hand or say hello, and ask about what we do, and say how much it means to them that we are doing what we do, regardless of what it may be. Putting on this uniform is like putting on more than 250 years of history, regardless of what I do I represent the United States Army, and I coordinate my actions accordingly.

You see, it's easy for someone to sit back and bad mouth the military, we do a job you don't want to do. Just remember that the job we do is what allows you to have the opinion you have, and to live with certain unalienable rights that so many of you take for granted. Perhaps this is something a lot of people need to think about before they start the rhetoric about 'military spending' and such.



No comments: