Monday, February 5, 2007


The (White) Crap Show

I don't think anyone can really say that reality television has come 'a long way' as a positive thought, more that reality TV has gone a long way to become a complete and total joke, especially over the last couple of years. With the Total Makeover and Bachelor/Bachelorette shows, and even worse the Surreal Life, the entire genre is truly circling the toilet bowl.

So today I'm hanging out up at Alfonzo's studio and I happen to catch a little bit of a couple of episodes of a new show on VH1, "Ego Trip's White Rapper Show". Now the premise of the show doesn't sound too bad. Ten contestants from across America will live in a run-down South Bronx tenement, and will be put through challenges that will test their knowledge of Hip-Hop culture, as well as their ideas about race.

So, could be interesting, a show that could highlight the rap culture that many young white Americans have embraced, showcasing their talent, right? WRONG!!! In no way, shape, or form did VH1 go for talent in this particular show, they went for the most screwed up, idiotic, totally half assed morons you could think of. Oh they have attitude and they are loud, but they are not talented at all. I guess they must think that the obnoxious arguing and fights are what bring in the ratings?

That's not to say that there wouldn't be obnoxious arguing and fighting among really decent rappers, but at least they would have talent. I looked over at Alfonzo and he had this "What in the FXXX??" look on his face when three of the guys on the show were 'freestyling', which is basically doing lyrics without any background music and without paper, it's all out of your mind. I told Al that the white guys I've seen rap in the studio right here are better than this. He said he had NO idea that this show was THAT bad, and yah, there are a thousand other white guys doing rap that are without a doubt better than that.

I seriously think VH1 wants everyone to have a good laugh at the expense of the white community. I mean honestly, what would happen if you took 10 blacks and put them on a show looking for the next great black country music star, but you picked 10 people who, in terms of music, had about zero talent, instead focusing on character defects and obnoxious personalities to sell your show? I can tell you right now, there would be a monstrous amount of uproar about the show being racist. But hey, these are just stupid white people trying to rap, right? Oh, I guess that makes it all okay???

I will not be watching this show again, even if I do happen to surf past it. There isn't anything even fun to watch, it's just bad. I'd be hard pressed to think 10 random white people couldn't do a better job at rapping than these morons are doing. Thanks VH1 for making white people look even less 'hip' than we already are, appreciate that immensely, because it's not like me going out there and dancing is going to fix that!

No comments: