Monday, June 26, 2006


GO USA SOCCER (Go Home That Is)

Ahh yes, another World Cup, another underperformance by the US team, another early exit for the USA team. Seems to be a recurring theme for our low interest soccer elite. I really don’t watch much of it. I tried, honestly I did, but come on now, kicking a ball around, back and forth, up and down that field, it makes baseball seem fast paced and exciting.

I did take some pointers away from watching both the American team and the other teams though. The United States team seemed lethargic, very little energy on either the offensive or defensive sides of the field. It seemed as though they weren’t willing to work very hard to create offensive opportunities or they just weren’t creative enough to? I don’t know. But the US scored ONE goal, just one goal, in three games, what exactly is that supposed to lead me to believe?

The US team was ranked 5th going into the World Cup and I have to wonder, did they rank them that high just to try and get Americans to watch the game? Sure seems like it, because I’m certain they rank right at the bottom in terms of performances at this particular World Cup. Sure they played inspired ball against the Italians, so what? They tied the game only because Italy scored on themselves, and even that didn’t end up helping them much at all. The Italians are in the next round, the Americans are headed home.

I keep hearing soccer commentators saying things like “if American’s showed more interest in the sport, the American team would perform better.” Give me a break. Americans are just like anyone else, we enjoy quality performances that match the abilities of whomever we are watching. In this instance, the American team supposedly had all this talent, and they did nothing. I think a better comment would be “If the American team would perform up to its abilities, more Americans would watch the sport.”

I’m sure the rest of the world is not surprised by how the US team did. As far as myself, I honestly thought they would do better, but I don’t care much about soccer so forgive me if I’m not all that disappointed.


Current Lyrical Ramblings

I've seen your face somewhere before I swear
Could it be I've met you somewhere else
It's the way you turn and look at me
Your eyes are different but they're much the same

Somewhere - Default

No comments: