Monday, May 15, 2006



The Home I Have Yet To See

As many people who read this know, belly was still doing her military occupational specialty training when I was activated in August of last year. Everything we owned went into storage and I headed to beautiful Ft. Riley, Kansas, for a couple of months of training in preparation for my time in the Sand Box.

Even as I was deployed to where I am now, I had no idea where we were going to live. We figured Yuma, Arizona, given belly’s high test scores and class ranking, and because not many people would actually pick Yuma given the climate and that Yuma isn’t exactly party central, so to speak.

Of course, as seems to be the military’s way of doing things, they went another direction than where we intended, and sent belly to San Diego to Camp Pendleton. Then we battled with the Marines over her basic allowance for housing, that all married people are SUPPOSED to get, but of course they wanted to keep her from getting it and call our marriage one of ‘convenience’ (aka FRAUD MARRIAGE FOR MONEY).

So we finally got that sorted out, and now we have, as I have been told, a quaint little apartment in a suburb of San Diego on the northern side of Pendleton, a place that I have not yet seen save for pictures. California… as most of you know I despise pretty much everything the so called “Sunshine State” stands for, smug self serving liberals with that pseudo intellectual superiority, with their smothering red tape liberal legislation and expensive reform programs and moronic political viewpoints, but belly says the weather is nice. I’ll just have to avoid getting my srt4 pulled over if I get some modifications in Nebraska, cuz they certainly won’t be legal in California.

With that said, I have obviously not seen my apartment, save for a few photos that my baby has sent me. I am excited about finally being able to see our apartment and checking out some of the sites around San Diego, and maybe a little bit of time doing a couple of adventures, but I hope belly realizes that I’m doing a lot of adventure right now and for me, living a normal life during my break is what I’m most looking forward to.

I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have belly in my life. This deployment would be a lot more miserable, that is for sure. I know I can have a truly crappy day and all I have to do is hear her voice or get an email from her and the stress just melts away.

***OLD JOURNAL ENTRY, for some reason it was never posted? Oh well, and if it has been posted I never found it, so who cares right?

No comments: