Monday, February 23, 2004



HIRE ME PLEASE!!

I try to remember that, regardless of where I'm working at, it's important to "like the job I'm doing" rather than "do the job I like." With that thought in mind I find ways to make my job enjoyable, regardless of what company I'm working for or what I do for that company. This has always served me well with the military, especially as I gained rank. I realized the importance of what we are doing, the big picture that is, and also how my actions as a key leader within my unit can affect the attitude of everyone within the unit.

But dang, my civilian job sure makes it had to do that sometimes. Let me give you a run down... I make hardly anything at the job I'm doing, sure it's above minimum wage, but it isn't enough to live comfortably, it's hardly enough to just scrape by. The general manager for our location never spends a dime on anyone, you know how the boss in most places will buy donuts on friday, or bring in pizza during inventory or on special occasions, perhaps recognize you on your birthday, maybe even let you get a half day off with pay?

Well... not at my job. Not only does our general manager never buy anything for anyone, he works his ass off finding ways to make things as uncomfortable as possible for us. Take one of the guys we work with, he started 2 years ago, and every year you are supposed to get a raise, but for the last 4 years or so our company has had a 'screw the employee bonanza', otherwise known as a 'wage freeze', so he hasn't gotten a single raise, so odds are that I won't either. Every 180 days without an accident, we get a pizza party!!! YAHHH!! Wait, that's just what the sign says. I believe we are up to 550 some odd days without an accident now, with no pizza ever, HOORAY!!

So anyways, our crew, as it was last year, 2003, from March when I and another guy started, till the end of the year, consisted of the warehouse manager (different from general manager), warehouse supervisor (under the manager), 4 warehouse workers/drivers, 1 daytime driver for the 'north route' and then 3 drivers that arrive around 5pm to drive the 3 night routes.

Well, one night driver was fired in November after several incidents involving costly accidents with company vehicles, he was replaced with an installer from the shop (we have a shop at our location). He was quite annoying, I mean, he meant well but my god he never shut up, about anything. Then our warehouse manager has surgery to repair his foot and has to be in a wheelchair, so he becomes useless in way of pulling parts. After that, one of the 4 warehouse workers quits. And oh, wouldn't you believe it? The general manager tells us that we can't hire anyone to replace him until April. Now one of the other workers has a hurt hand, he seems to always have something wrong with him that keeps him in 'light duty' status per doctors orders. He brought in an excuse that says it will be that way until next week. Not that it's any different from the way he normally is, as in, irritatingly lazy. He was on vacation today and, oddly enough, we didn't even notice he was gone.

So, the night driver that replaced the one who was fired, well, he quits. Now we have a female night driver, and that's okay, except, to be honest, she's just not tall enough to keep up with putting windshields on and off the big trucks, and I have a feeling she won't last very long because of that. Add to that the warehouse supervisor tends to drink too much (just got his license back as a matter of fact) and he was late like 5 times over a month long period, not just a few minutes late, I'm talking about a half hour to an hour and a half late... the last time I thought he was going to get fired, thank god he didn't because he's the most knowledgeable person in terms of where locations are in our warehouse for parts and stuff.

You can see that this basically qualifies for a 'dead end job' as the term goes. I have no upward mobility, no job security, hell, the medical insurance is even terrible. I could go on and on about this, but I think you get the picture. Anyways, anyone hiring? I only need roughly 30 grand a year to be happy, come on, it's not that much money!!! HIRE ME!!! PLEASE!!!!

No comments: