Monday, April 22, 2013

@*#($&(*&@#$?????

I've had some messed up days, but this one truly took the cake in terms of sheer mind numbing technological irritation.

Let me set the stage:  Ever since I purchased this computer, I get a log in message whenever I reboot or turn the computer on "Would you like to create your system recovery disc now?" which I have generally (or stupidly, as you might see it) ignored/avoided. 

Well, today I had a DVD, so I thought I'd finally get that done.  Followed the instructions implicitly, inserted the DVD into the player, and rebooted. 

Nothing

Monitors were not working at all, sounded like the computer itself was.  So on a hunch, I removed my aftermarket graphics card, hooked the monitor to the one old port, and voila, she restarted. 

Then I couldn't get the mouse to work, Ohhh yah, they don't tell you this, you need to install the mouse into the uppermost USB port, like the "natural" spot when you first buy a computer, they would tell you to put that USB port somewhere right outside there.  So I then got the computer back up and running...

GONE

All my files, photos, paperwork, everything just POOF disappeared.  So I've purchased a program that is supposed to be able to recover as many of them as it can, we'll see. 

I was about as frustrated today as I've ever been... phone was acting up, not taking calls, or being impossible to input data without a 30 second lag.  Oh well, glad that's over.

No comments: